We want to ensure that the adoption process is the best match for both human and pet.
STEP 1: Let’s Begin!
Welcome! We ask that you complete our Adoption Application which we can provide to you at our adoption location (currently the Animal Hospital of Telluride) or we can email you a survey at your request.
There are basic requirements that must be met to begin:
- You must be at least 21 years of age
- Have a U.S. government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license or state ID
- Verify that you are allowed to have a pet of the breed and size where you currently live
- Be able to spend the time and resources necessary to provide the training, medical treatment and proper care for your pet
- Bring along all family members (including children) to meet your new cat or dog. Be sure to bring any resident dogs if you are adopting a dog.
- Be able to take the pet home on the day of adoption
- Spay or neuter any resident pets before you adopt. This is the most important thing you can do to help stop pet overpopulation, and also gives your pet many health and behavioral benefits!*
*We understand there are some responsible reasons why you might choose to not spay or neuter your pet. If that is the case in your home, please bring along the related veterinary records and ask to speak to a manager who will help determine whether we are able to approve your application to adopt.
STEP 2: Matching Expectations
Once we receive your application we will have better information and insight into a pet that may be ideal for you and best fit with your lifestyle.
STEP 3: Meeting the Pets
After the application has been reviewed and any questions may have been addressed, we have you and pet meet. If you have any other pets and/or family members that need to meet a pet you are interested in, we will arrange that meeting, too.
When your heart knows you have found the one, let us know that you wish to continue on with the adoption process!
STEP 4: Adoption Consultation
We will meet with you to assist with guidance in helping you and pet transition into a new home with success. We will go over any further questions and the necessary details for the successful love and care of your newly adopted family member.
STEP 5: The THS Lifetime Guarantee
Our hope is that you and your pet are together as a forever home. However, life can present us with unexpected experiences. From being available for advice, questions, personal needs, an emergency or you are unable to keep your pet, we are committed to our pets and will always be available through their lifetime as needed.